Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Unit 11

Althought I could not get a theme loaded on my Omeka site I did like it the best. It seemed to be easier to navigate and the DC elements were very helpful and user friendly. The Omeka site was very helpful. The screencasts were very helpful and I liked seeing the actions before I did them. Reading the different forums gave me the insight into the way Omeka can be used and how libraries can use it.

As I remember DSpace was another site that was not hard to use. The way it linked pages to each other was a plus because it allowed for a stream of thought through the collecition. Drupal is similar to DSpace in that it has been around for a while and has more detail than Omeka. Jhove was very technical and it automated object ingestion, storage, access and preservation. It seemed that it was started and then forgotten as some of the information was outdated.

OAI-PMH was a little intimidating. I had trouble using it but it seems it would be a good tool in the Open Archive program. It seems as if I did not have enough background knowledge to use it effectively. I liked that it enhances access to e-prints archives.

Because all these different systems are open source their seervices are available to everyone. Each system has pluses and minuses but because they are open source you can decided which works best for your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment