Monday, October 25, 2010

Unit 9

The challenge I am having cataloging my items is mostly that I do not know my items intimately. They are just items I found online. I am not completely sure about the metadata involved with each piece. There are a few that have some metadata attached so they were easier to catalog than others. I do not even know that much about the pictures of my mom as she recently had a stroke and is unable to tell me about her childhood pictures I just found and included.

I enjoyed looking for the metadata for the items that are in my collection. Some had more than others and some had none because I did not remember where I got the item. I had to go back and rethink some of the categories I chose because I wanted to keep my labels consistent. I had not thought of all of this when I first began putting my collection together but, as I see it coming together I see how important it is to know what you have. I went back through my collection and tried to make the metadata consistent.

I can see how cataloging records is expensive. It is took a while for me to decide what subject headings and key words to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment